Trip Planning List
This is the list I use as I get ready to go.
Many months before:
- Decide to go travelling.
- Research places to go.
- List the countries that I want to visit.
- Make a draft itinerary of two weeks or so in each country.
- Research costs and add budget estimates to the itinerary.
- Edit as necessary.
- Start saving up.
A few months before:
- Do I need vaccinations? Or anti-malarials? If so, schedule appointment to get jabs and prescriptions.
- Do I need a trip to the dentist? Schedule one if necessary.
- Is my passport valid? Bearing in mind that passports often have to be valid for six months after return from some countries, apply for updated passport if necessary.
- Do I need visas? Apply if necessary.
- Book air or ferry tickets as required.
- Do I need medical insurance cover, or an European medical card? Take out insurance and/or apply for an European medical card (EHIC) if required.
- Do I need travel insurance? Take out travel insurance if required.
- If driving, get the car serviced.
- If driving, do I need breakdown cover? Take out motor breakdown cover if necessary, checking that all the countries I hope to visit are covered.
A few weeks before:
- Arrange for the dogs to be looked after.
- Check I have received all my jabs and had the prescriptions for any necessary medications filled.
- Tidy up my home for while I'm away. Leave key with trusted persons.
- Leave copies of important documents with trusted persons.
- Update will.
A few days before:
- Call the bank and the credit card company and alert them to my plans.
- Get small supply of cash out of bank and put it in my moneybelt.
- Lodge funds to bank account if possible.
- Get backpack and moneybelt out.
- Read through my packing list and check I have everything I will need.
And then on day of travel:
- Pack bag.