Personality Traits Of Healthy People
According to something I read once, there is a certain personality type that is the healthiest to have, both emotionally and physically. Apparently the so-called "Type 4" personality is the least likely to suffer from mental or physical illness. I don't know whether I'd believe this whole-heartedly. It does smack of blaming the victim a little. But it's interesting at least, so here it is.
The best traits or abilities to either have or cultivate if you want to be healthy are (allegedly):
- Independence. Finding it easy to stay independent in relationships, and recognising that one's partner should feel the same.
- Expressiveness. Being able to openly express and satisfy emotional needs within relationships. Rather than having huge rows or burying rage, making one's feelings known, but acknowledging when matters are trivial.
- Serenity. Being seldom upset for long, even when a lover leaves or does something awful.
- Self-understanding. Being able to feel contradictory emotions, and handle them; recognising that, for example, it is possible to feel both angry and sad, or happy and scared, at the same time.
- Optimism. Remaining positive even when things aren't going well.
- Willingness to learn. Learning from experience and if necessary, changing one's behaviour accordingly.
- High self-esteem. Judging oneself by one's own standards alone and not worried about fulfilling other people's expectations, or about what other people think.
- Focus. Able to set and work towards long term goals and willing to accept short term difficulties.
- Boundary setting. Able to set boundaries, and achieve the closeness to or distance from people that best suits one's needs.